In the realm of General Contracting and Construction Management, Oakes Management, LLC is dedicated to the care and needs of our clients and consultants. We’re here to shepherd our client’s dreams, to transform two-dimensional visions into three-dimensional artistry, and to devote our time and means to the creation of spatial beauty.
As described by the visionary architect Frank Lloyd Wright,
“The longer I live the more beautiful life becomes. If you foolishly ignore beauty, you will soon find yourself without it. Your life will be impoverished. But if you invest in beauty, it will remain with you all the days of your life.”
Our founder, Garrette Oakes, has brought together a diverse group of highly skilled individuals to form Oakes Management, LLC. This unique team works to maintain the traditions of old world craftsmanship, standards, and values. We practice courtesy, respect, and care. We are thorough and detailed, pragmatic and problem-solving, and experienced. Experience makes one skeptical, forward thinking, and analytical. We apply this state of mind to the challenge of monitoring the job - the liaison, subcontractors, costs, schedule, workmanship, and integrity. From these core ideals, Oakes Management has shaped its sole purpose; to provide construction services with a strong commitment to honoring the clients and consultants and providing the best work possible. We believe only by meeting these ideals does one become successful.
Beauty is in the details. A well thought of and executed detail can transform a good building to an extraordinary one. This attention to detail starts with the architect and must be followed through by seasoned carpenters. Our executive carpenters have decades of experience, artistry, and know how. They have an in-depth knowledge of techniques and tools that transforms a simple junction to a critic’s admiration. Their carpentry skills are synonymous to precision, strength, and creativity.
We have the experience
We have over 45 years of experience. We have built, managed, and supervised projects between $10 million to $191 million. Our portfolio includes Resort Custom Homes, Resort Villas, Resort Amenities, and Luxury Condominiums for new constructions and renovations.
We’ve been there
Having been put through the rigor; we’ve been through the good and the bad. We’ve learned from both and utilize these powerful lessons to minimize the owner’s exposure to construction defects and administrative issues.
We honor your patronage
We treat the management and construction of your home with more respect than our own. It becomes the top hierarchy of importance. All of our energy is focused on giving you the best outcome because we appreciate you putting your trust in us.
Advantages of Contracting with Oakes Management, LLC
- We have managed several projects between $10 million to $191 million. We know how to minimize the Owner’s exposure due to problems in administration.
- We have over 50 years of experience. We know how to minimize the Owner’s exposure to construction defects.
- We have an excellent record in controlling costs and budgets and maintaining schedules.
- We are able to generate Value Engineering Options for the Owner to review for savings considerations.
- We know concrete; we have managed a precast concrete plant.
- We have an ABC license versus a BC license unlike most of our competitors. An ABC license certifies the General Contractor is legally authorized and qualified to perform Building, Engineering, and Site Work Construction.
- We have licenses in both Structural and Civil Engineering.
- We have the ability to perform our own site work, concrete, rough carpentry, and finish carpentry with our own crew or the option to subcontract the work out. This gives Owners the best options for cost and performance.
- We lay-out Subcontractors’ work to minimize mistakes through quality control. Most Contractors require the Subcontractors to layout their own work which often leads to substandard tolerances.
- We check and monitor the Subcontractors’ work to insure the work is performed properly.
GARRETTE OAKES’ 50 years of construction background is extensive and encompasses numerous projects, several of which are between $50 and $191 million.
LICENSES, EDUCATION & ASSOCIATION:
- Civil Engineer, CE
- Structural Engineer, SE
- General Contractor, ABC (highest level)
- Bachelor Science, Civil Engineering from Washington State University
- Additional degree in Management Science, Marketing, and Finance
- Life Member, Am Society of Civil Engineer Member (& past Secretary) Structural Engineers Association of HI
- (Past) Technical Committee Chairman of Cement Concrete Products Industry of HI
- General Contractor of Oakes Management, LLC
- Construction Manager of Kuki’o
- Construction and Development Manager of Hawaii Dredging Construction Co. Housing and Commercial Division
- Manager of HDCC Precast Concrete Plant
- Vice President of Construction at Centex Homes
- Owner’s Construction Manager
CONSTRUCTION PORTFOLIO IN KUKI’O:
- White Residence
- Hartman Residence
- Hale Loko Wai
- Johnson Makani Eka Residences
- Kuki’o Golf Club House
- Ka’upulehu Beach Club
- Kuki’o Outdoor Pursuits
- Kuki’o Sports Complex
- Kuki’o Interpretive Center
- Kuki’o Cottages
ADDITIONAL RESORT PROJECTS:
- Ko Olina Kai Beach Villas
- Ko Olina Kai Golf Estates
- Ko Olina Kai Golf Villas
- Hyatt Regency Hotel (aka Hilton Waikoloa Hotel)
- Hapuna Beach Hotel
- Kamehameha School, Hilo Campus
- Kolea Kai Condominium
- Mauna Kea Beach Renovation
- Mauna Lani Bay Renovation
- 133 Luxury Homes & Condominiums
- 564 Subdivision Homes
- Hong Kong Jockey Club
- Hilton & Poipu Hotel, Kauai
LENA OAKES’ fine art, architecture, construction, and business background balances the OML team.
- Operations Manager, Cost Controller, Administration
- Master of Architecture, Tulane University, New Orleans
- Bachelor of Fine Arts and Business Administration, Louisiana State University
- Associate Member of American Institute of Architecture
RESIDENTIAL PORTFOLIO IN KUKI’O:
- White Residence
- Johnson Makani Eka
- Hale Loko Wai
- Wong Residence Remodel
- Four Seasons Hualalai Hotel, Big Island
- Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Renovation, Big Island
- Hawaiki Tower, Honolulu
- Hilo Judiciary Building, Big Island
- Culver Academy Library, Culver Indiana
- Buick Dealership Prototype Design, General Motors, Flint Michigan
- Saturn Dealership Prototype Design, General Motors, Flint Michigan
- Osaka Restaurant, New Orleans
MIKE REED, Project Director who oversees our jobs. He has over 45 years of experience in residential, resort, and commercial construction and supervision.
EDUCATION & AWARDS:
- Bachelor of Sciences in Chemistry from University of Miami
- Bronze Star, Good Conduct Metal from the Vietnam War
- Extensive construction knowledge and supervision proficiency in infrastructure, structures, all-trades, and fit and finish.
- Also adept at layout, surveying, estimating, and scheduling
- Skilled in CADD, GPS Survey equipment, computers.
- Hale Loko Wai, Kuki’o
- Wai’olu, Kuki’o
- Epstein Residence, Kuki’o
- Kuki’o Residences at Lot 48, 49, 52
- Big Surf, Paul Allen Residence
- Nanea Clubhouse and Restaurant
- Hale Pohaku Renovation, Mauna Kea
- Kona Coast Resort Condominium
- Hualalai Cottage #12, 13, and 14
- Valley Isle Hotel (12 stories/120 rms)
- Royal Kahana Condominium (12 stories/240 rms)
- Mauna Loa Observatory Building
- Waimea Waste Water Facility
- Kealakehe Intermediate School Addition
- Waimea Eldely Housing
- Parker Ranch Office and Warehouse
- Carter Professional Center
- Keck Observatory Office
- Lucy Enriques Medical Ctr Expansion
- Waimea KTA Shopping Center
- Lanihau Shopping Center Addition
- Kona International Airport Waste Water Treatment Plant
- Holualoa School Cafeteria
- Kona Aquatic Center
- 420 Homes, US Virgin Island Housing Authority